Welcome to the Maryland State Fair Home Arts Department!
I warmly welcome you and invite you to participate in the 142nd Maryland State Fair. We have something for everyone this year in the Home Arts Department.
Come enjoy friendly competition and see what your talented neighbors have exhibited.
Janice Coroneos, Superintendent
Individuals may pre-enter by mail on a printed Entry Form (Maryland State Fair, P.O. Box 188, Timonium, MD 21094) OR Register Online (Online Entries are now closed).
All Open Class Home Arts, Farm & Garden & Livestock Competitions will utilize the same Online Entry System (Online Entries are now closed). This means one username, password, and user fee for all Open Class Entries.
1. Entry times for the Home Arts Sections are as follows:
• Sections A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, K, L, N
(Use Land St. Entrance-Rear of Building)
Sunday, August 20th, 2PM – 8PM &
Monday, August 21st, 9AM – 7PM
• Section M:
First Week Baking Show (Use Land St. Entrance)
Sunday, August 20th 2PM – 8PM &
Monday, August 21st, 9AM – 7PM
• Second Week Baking Show (Use Land St. Entrance)
Wednesday, August 30th, 3PM – 8PM
• Third Week Baking Show (Use Land St. Entrance)
Wednesday, September 6th, 3PM – 8PM
2. No admission passes are furnished. Exhibitors admitted without charge during entry times. Others pay regular admission.
3. Entries must be the exhibitor’s work and entered in his/her name. Only 1 entry per class is accepted from any one exhibitor.
4. Entries are not accepted unless there is a specific class for them in the premium list.
5. All entries must be fresh, clean, and conform to size or content specifications.
6. All entries must have been completed since August 2022, except as noted.
7. Home Arts entries will be RELEASED Monday, September 11th, 2023 from 9AM to 7PM. Unclaimed exhibits become MSF property after September 30th, 2023.
8. All ribbons must be picked up with exhibits when released. The decisions of the judges are final. At their discretion, the judges may open and examine any entry and refuse to consider any entry.
9. Only residents of Maryland and adjoining states are eligible to enter.
10. A Fair President and an Anna Troyer ribbon will be awarded in each section. Honorable Mention ribbons are awarded when the judges feel that an entry deserves special notice.
11. 2022 Special Award winners aren’t eligible to receive 2023 Special Awards.
12. Individuals may pre-enter by mail on a printed Entry Form (Maryland State Fair, P.O. Box 188, Timonium, MD 21094) OR Register Online (Online Entries are now closed).
13. Unless otherwise noted, professionals are excluded from submitting entries. A professional is defined as one who has earned a certificate/degree or is currently employed in a related entry category field. An amateur creates for pleasure.
Home Arts Introduction
Section A – QUILTS
Section B – KNITTING, TATTING & LACE
Section C – CLOTHING
Section D – RUGS & HOOKING
Section E – COUNTED THREAD, COUNTED CROSS STITCH, EMBROIDERY & NEEDLEPOINT
Section F – WEAVING & SPINNING
Section G – FINE ARTS
Section H – PHOTOGRAPHY
Section K – FOOD PRESERVATION
Section L – CROCHETING
Section M – BAKED PRODUCTS & CANDY
Section N – CRAFTS & DECORATIVE ARTS
Hellen Burns Smyth Award
The following hotel partners have graciously offered discounted rates for our Exhibitors. If you need lodging, we encourage you to take advantage of their gracious offers. The rooms must be booked directly using the booking links to receive the discounted rates.