Maryland State Fair & Agricultural Society, Inc. is a private 501 (c) (3) non-profit dedicated to supporting agriculture education and preserving and promoting Maryland’s agricultural roots by providing competitions and events showcasing Maryland’s premier industry, agriculture.
About the State Fair
Each year, staff, volunteers, and board members spend countless hours planning and preparing for the annual Maryland State Fair. Held at the Maryland State Fairgrounds since 1879, the Maryland State Fair is the largest ticketed event and celebration of agriculture in Maryland.
- Rich Agricultural Tradition: The fair celebrates Maryland’s strong agricultural heritage. It showcases livestock exhibits, competitions, and demonstrations, providing attendees with insights into the state’s farming and rural communities.
- Diverse Entertainment: The fair offers a wide range of entertainment options, including live concerts, performances, and shows. From country music to rock bands, the fair caters to diverse musical tastes, ensuring there’s something for everyone.
- Carnival Atmosphere: The fairgrounds come alive with the excitement of carnival rides, games, and attractions. Families and thrill-seekers alike can enjoy the classic fair experience with a variety of rides and amusements.
- Signature Food Offerings: Maryland is renowned for its seafood, particularly blue crabs. The fair allows visitors to indulge in the region’s culinary specialties, including crab dishes, funnel cakes, and other classic fair foods.
- Community Engagement: The fair provides a platform for local communities to come together. It fosters a sense of community by bringing people from different backgrounds to enjoy shared experiences, celebrate traditions, and support local businesses.
- Education and Exhibits: Beyond entertainment, the fair emphasizes education. Visitors can explore educational exhibits on agriculture, horticulture, and environmental awareness, offering an opportunity to learn more about Maryland’s natural resources.
- Family-Friendly Activities: The fair is designed to be family-friendly, with activities for all ages. From petting zoos to educational exhibits, there are plenty of opportunities for families to spend quality time together.
- Competitions and Contests: The fair hosts various competitions, including baking contests, photography contests, and livestock competitions. This competitive element adds an extra layer of excitement and engagement for both participants and spectators.
- Seasonal Tradition: The Maryland State Fair is an annual end-of-summer tradition, marking the culmination of the season with a festive atmosphere. It provides a sense of continuity and serves as a beloved event that people look forward to each year.
- Continuous Innovation: The fair organizers continually seek to enhance the visitor experience by introducing new attractions, entertainment acts, and activities. This commitment to innovation helps keep the fair fresh and appealing to a broad audience.
In summary, the Maryland State Fair’s success lies in its ability to blend tradition with innovation, offering a diverse and engaging experience that appeals to a wide range of interests. Whether it’s the agricultural showcases, entertainment lineup, or the festive atmosphere, the fair has something for everyone, making it a cherished event in the state.